Applying for a Canadian work permit is a great way to gain access to the local job market and benefit from the wide array of possibilities it offers. If you want to learn what steps you need to take in order to complete the work permit application in Canada, keep reading and get ready to start your adventure!
What is a Canadian work permit and who needs it?
A Canadian work permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows foreign nationals to work in Canada for a specific amount of time and for a specific employer.
Who needs it? Everyone who isn’t a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and wants to work there legally. This includes people who are in Canada on a visitor visa, international students, and others who plan to stay in Canada for longer.
Different types of work permits in Canada
There are various types of Canadian work permits. The most popular ones include:
- Facilitated LMIA;
- Global Talent Stream;
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
The Canadian government offers various options and opportunities for foreign workers. However, obtaining some work permits may require demonstrating connection to Canada, securing an LMIA or having a valid employment letter.
So, how to apply for a Canadian work permit? There are a few steps you need to take.
How to apply for a Canadian work permit and what documents will you need?
In order to apply for a Canadian work permit, you’ll need to:
- prepare your resume – in order to show your qualifications and work experience, update your resume and showcase your skills to show potential employers you’re an ideal fit for the job. It’s also a good idea to include relevant keywords in your application. Thanks to it, your resume will be applicant tracking system-friendly.
- look for available jobs and determine what type of a work permit you need – depending on the type of job you’re interested in, you’ll need to look for available jobs in Canada and decide what type of work permit you need to apply for. Then, it’s time to gather all the necessary documents.
- fill out the application – finally, it’s time to fill out the work permit application. This can be done either online or on paper.
Documents required to complete work permit application in Canada include:
- A valid passport or travel document;
- Two (2) recent passport-style photos (with your name and date of birth written on the back);
- Proof of financial support (e.g. bank statements, pay stubs, etc.);
- Proof of the purpose of your stay in Canada (e.g. a job offer or contract from a Canadian employer);
- Documents proving your education and work experience;
- Police Clearance Certificate;
- Application fee receipt.
How long does it take to get a Canadian work permit?
Finally, it’s time to answer the following question: how long does it take to get a Canadian work permit?
The processing time for work permits in Canada usually depends on the type of work permit and job you’re applying for, as well as the country or region you’re from. It can take anywhere from a few days to several months.
To get an accurate estimate of the processing time of your work permit application in Canada, you can use the IRCC processing time calculator.
Want to learn more about working in Canada? Check out our website.